Last summer after completing the bed, I decided to just buy some different pieces of wood and make small things with it. Until to that point I’ve only worked with beech, spruce and a little walnut and I wanted to experience working with other kinds. I ended up buying some oak, zebrano, wenge and red cedar.
I decided to saw the red cedar into two book matched boards and glue them together. Then a plained to board down to just a few millimeters, creating a nice top for a string instrument.
Inspired by the Seagull Merlin I decided to try to make my own “dulcitar” using the red cedar as top and some piece of hardwood of unknown species for the body.
Since I do not own a router, I drilled most of the hardwood out using a forestner bit and then started chiseling. I glued to red cedar on top of it and used the wenge as the fretboard (which I now know, is a horrible choice I when you only use hand tools).
I must say, that making you own musical instrument is very satisfying, even though the result is anything but perfect.
I used the oak to make a little stand.
Now I just have to figure out, what I do with the rest.